the world cup and just no.

June 14, 2014

I hate to disappoint all your World Cup fans out there, but I couldn't care less about soccer if I tried.  I realize this is an every-four-years-the-world-stops-everything kind of event, but I just can't.  The vuvuzela noise makers are my worst nightmare and people chanting and screaming the whole.entire.time. is just like, what is happening right now?  #exhausting

I feel ya, sir.

Okay, to be fair, I realize that most people don't understand the Southern traditions and obsession with college football.  No one understands why my mother about lost her mind when I set my wedding date for October, smack dab in the middle of football season.  Have y'all seen the ALFA Insurance commercial, with Sweet Home Alabama playing in the background, and the parents were upset because their daughter set their wedding date for the third Saturday in October?  Yep.  That commercial is basically the story of my life. 

But soccer?  I never have and never will understand why it's so popular.  And it seems as though the entire world (thus, the world cup) is all about soccer except for the United States.  Like, people shut down entire cities and countries when their team is playing.  I'm sorry, but it's extremely anticlimactic to watch people kick a ball back and forth for hours before someone scores a goal.  Yes, that one second of goal scoring is exciting, but like, three hours later?  zZzZzZzZzZzZz   Sorry, what was I saying?

Happy Saturday everyone!
And if you're into this soccer business, well, then Go Team.
[insert vuvuzela noise here]

5 comments:

  1. I don't even get the World Cup. I was talking to my husband the other day and I was like, "Is the World Cup like the Superbowl of soccer? Is it played every year." He told me it was like the Olympics and it's played every 4 years. I don't even care enough to google to see if that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I had to schedule my wedding for the only Saturday in November that the University of South Carolina didn't have a home game. I was forbidden by bridesmaids and attendees alike that I definitely could not schedule it for the Clemson/Carolina game. So, I totally feel you on the date of the wedding and football!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha I'm there napping with you... "Go Team!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Kind way of putting it! I am just happy to see all the African counties present this year in the World Cup. Team Africa! House divided here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That commercial you speak of, where the guy misses his own daughters wedding....that is the man that married Chris's grandmother. Only the commercial lies and says he goes to the reception but I believe he didn't make it.

    PS- Soccer is stupid.

    ReplyDelete