shopping at the "normal" stores

June 15, 2014

Yesterday was a really amazing day.  We had Father's Day lunch with my parents and grandparents, and then we headed out to the Outlet Mall.  I looove the Outlet Mall, but in the past I never could buy anything.  I never could go into the Gap, J. Crew, Banana Republic, even sometimes Old Navy and purchase anything because I couldn't fit into even their largest sizes.

Yesterday, I walked into Lane Bryant, my usual shopping go-to store, and my world changed:  their clothes were extremely too big for me.  The fact that I am too small to shop in that store made me feel strange and like something was wrong, because for so many years, that was the only place that I could shop.  And honestly, at my heaviest, their clothes were getting a little snug.

I walked into Gap and bought a really cute orange pair of size XL linen shorts, as well as an XL shirt.  The last time I could fit into any size in the gap was when I was 13 years old.  (true story, people.)


I also found several things in J.Crew that I loved, but even at the Outlet and with the discounts, their prices are a little more than I'm used to paying.  A tee shirt that's half off but still $20 is just a bit too much for me.  (can we say Tiffany Tastes & Target Pockets?  that's me.)

I have been shopping at Old Navy a lot lately.  I fit into a size 16 pair of shorts and felt amazing!  So when we arrived at the Outlet and I saw the Old Navy sign, I almost had a fit!  The store was huge and everything was marked down AND on sale for at least 30% off, some things even 50% off.  I bought another pair of shorts, blue striped, and three shirts, SIZE LARGE.  I truly have no idea when the last time I could wear a size Large shirt at Old Navy.  Even just the comfortable fitting little cotton ones, which are the ones I bought yesterday.  

I still haven't made it under 200 pounds, which like I've said before is a result of my lack of time for the gym, but after yesterday, I feel amazing.  The weight loss aspect of my life isn't always at the forefront, but yesterday it definitely was, and in such a positive way.  I'm so thankful for the surgery, every single day, but especially on days like yesterday when I can feel normal, healthy and beautiful.  When I'm walking away from the long maxi dresses and heading to the short ones because I'm no longer ashamed to show my legs.  When I'm buying shorts and cute outfits from "normal" stores and feeling amazing in them.  When I no longer care what others think of my perfectly imperfect body.  Those are the times when I know God's plan for me is amazing, and that this journey of mine, even when it isn't about the weight loss, is on the right path.

Happy Sunday, y'all.  Thank God for your blessings and be a shining light for someone today.  


9 comments:

  1. That's such a big deal! I am so proud of you kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so exciting! Congratulations! I finally fit back into all of my the dresses I wore for college graduation festivities 4 years ago, even though I still weighed 20 pounds less. Thanks, strength training!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a nice post and story! yea for being able to explore new stores and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, what an accomplishment! Losing inches makes such a difference, no matter what the scale says.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!!! Those non scale victories are sometimes the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so awesome! So happy and excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such an awesome non-scale victory. So freaking excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post literally brought me to tears! That is one of my reasons. To be able to walk into any store and pick out an outfit. I long for the days where I'm not banished to ordering online!

    ReplyDelete