My Gastric Bypass Story Pt. 1

September 5, 2013

In December 2009, I started dating Ben.  I knew pretty much right away that he was the one.  He always loved me for who I was-  silly, crazy, tempermental, and overweight.  He continually told me how beautiful I was.  Somehow, from 2009 to December 2012, I had gained a significant amount of weight.  Probably about 40 pounds.  Not working out, never cooking and only eating food from a drive-thru will do that I guess.  We sat down one night on the porch and Ben asked me, very delicately, if I had ever considered lap-band.  I wasn't offended-  I knew he loved me and wanted the best for me.  It was during this conversation that I knew we would get married.  Ben said he wanted me to think about surgery for our future, as husband and wife and as parents.  He was telling me something I already knew:  I needed to change.  I had considered surgery before, so it wasn't a brand new idea.  My mom and I had gone to a seminar in late 2007/early 2008 and I never followed up with seeing the doctor.  I was pretty confident (and a little cocky).  My motto was, "if they don't like me how I am, they don't deserve to be with me anyway."  Which is true-  to a certain extent.  Hearing Ben express how much he loved me and wanted me to be healthy changed my whole outlook.

So later that same month I scheduled an appointment for myself and Ben to attend a seminar at St. Vincent's East Hospital.  I sat in the front row;  I wanted to know everything.  After the roughly 2 hour long seminar, I was so excited.  People had spoken about how their lives had changed and their health had improved.  I wanted that for myself and I was now sure that I wanted to proceed with the surgery process.

It took a while to get an appointment with Dr. Miles.  I didn't see him until January.  He informed me of the many things I needed to do for my insurance to pay for this and assured me that I was a perfect candidate for surgery.  The first (and most important) thing I had to do was visit my primary care physician and start my 7-month long doctor supervised weight loss.  I had to have an appointment with my PCP every month for 7 months and if I missed an appointment I had to start over.  So I started the process, thinking that the next 7 months were going to be the longest 7 months of my entire life.

Boy was I wrong...

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are writing out your story. So inspiring! I got a little teary eyed at how sweet Ben is and how you were able to see that you needed/wanted to change and didn't get offended when he brought up the idea. I struggle with that alot. Like, I know I want to be healthier but when G brings it up I do get a little bit offended. I wish I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're giving the background and I'm also glad that you and Ben came to the decision together.. I'm sure it helps having someone that has your back in all of this :)

    ReplyDelete