life & progress & tears

December 15, 2013

Things have been going well lately!  It hasn't been that long since I updated and I am happy to say that the scale has gone down once more!

general
I've been feeling really great lately!  I have a lot of energy, going up and down stairs is easier, my knee doesn't hurt nearly as much as it used to and I feel that my overall health is in good condition.  I didn't have my three month checkup with my surgeon because, quite frankly, life has been busy.  Like, super busy.  I'm in school full time online and it takes up several hours of my time every night.  Don't get me wrong, I love it!  I'm so excited that I'm in classes that are Education based and not taking pilly-dilly pre-requisite classes.  Also, working full time and going to the gym take up a good bit of time.  I am happy, I'm loving life, I feel so healthy and happy!

progress
Working out with Gene The Personal Trainer has been going great!  Ben was out of town last week, it was my first week of major based classes (hence the busy schedule) and I didn't work out because I was feeling pretty under the weather.  I hadn't really thought about getting on the scale since I just did not too long ago, but something crazy  happened this morning.  I woke up, stretched, and I could feel my ribs.  Not just feel them, but they were jutting out and I could feel them.  It doesn't sound like much, but I just knew that I was smaller.  So I went to get on the scale and weigh myself:  minus 68.5.  I had to get off the scale and get back on just to make sure.


Looking at that, I almost can't believe my eyes myself.  I've been working hard and it's been paying off!  I still have such a long way to go, but hopefully by my birthday I will be into the one-hundred-something category and can start looking for wedding dresses!

tears
So many times I've heard the doctor and other gastric bypass patient's say that my hair will eventually start falling out, specifically around the 3-month mark.  Around 12 weeks I started noticing some shedding a little more than normal.  The past two weeks it has been coming out in clumps at an alarming rate.  I took a shower this morning and more hair came out in the shower than ever before.  Then, when I was blow drying my hair, I would have to stop and clean my brush every couple of minutes because it was just full of hair.  When I finished blow drying my hair, there was just hair EVERY where.  I started feeling my hair and my scalp and it felt so thin.  I've always had thick hair, so it was really upsetting!  I don't want to be so vain, but I started crying to Ben about how thin my hair felt.  He assured me that it looked and felt thick, ha!  So after we had lunch, we ventured out into the freezing (literally) cold weather so I could stock up on more vitamins.


Let me just tell you, those vitamins are BIG.  They suck, basically.  The chewables I had to take for the first three months after surgery were a million times worse, so I'm not really complaining.  But anyone who takes a multi-vitamin obviously knows that they are huge horse pills.  The calcium are also huge and have a funky taste to them.  By the way, I have to specifically take Calcium Citrate and it is like THE hardest thing to find in the stores.  I had to look on the vitamin shelf in CVS for almost 20 minutes.  Totally uncalled for.  I don't know what the difference is between Calcium (aka calcium carbonate) and Calcium Citrate, but they are in two completely opposite places in the vitamin section.  Totally stupid. And the Biotin, obviously, is for my crazy hair loss.

Overall, everything is great!  I'm looking forward to Christmas and NYE in Nashville!  But I'm sure I'll talk to y'all again before that.  If not, Merry Christmas!


SW:  311
CW:  242.5
-68.5 lbs

2 comments:

  1. Girl....look at you!!! Congrats on the loss. You are looking amazing, as always. I have a hard time remember which fruits and veggies are "better for you." So many rules....

    Don't even get me started on vitamins. I have to take a few daily, and get shots for another that my body wont absorb. Those things are HUGE and I don't know how I manage to swallow them all down every day. I'd like to tell you that it gets easier...but it doesn't. Neither does the taste. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! great work and you have such a long neck! i bet you did not know that before :)

    ReplyDelete